Sunday, November 20, 2011

A New One

"Why wish for the Privilege of living your past life again? You begin a New One every morning."
Robert Quillen
You begin anew every morning.  I really was taken aback when I first read this and then this smile came across my face.  Wow - the thought of starting over everyday has never crossed my mind before.  I could easily keep up the same thing from day-to-day; or even review things from last week.  Or. . . 
what a concept! Start fresh everyday!!  
I guess it's all a matter of how you approach the day and the things that need to get done.

One of the things I need to get done, new lessons and approaches for the children I have in my therapy sessions.  I love the activities I teach and there are those lessons I wouldn't trade for any new activity with all the 'bells and whistles'.  I have activities I know will get the child's attention and keep it all through the session. . . .well, most of the time. . . then there is the child in which no activity engages them.  Start anew!  Think of something!  I can't always think of something - my mind does not always work as fast as some kiddos!
New lessons every morning? Well, no - but how about new apps after the activities have not worked and you're looking around to decide what to try next.  Sometimes I forget that I, being the dinosaur in a generation of constantly changing technology, have the answers at my fingertips.   Recently, I learned the art of apps for students to learn, and I'm learning the art of apps for listening and spoken language.

My strategy for all lessons is auditory first, visual if needed, and then return to auditory to build memory for the student/client.  The second strategy for all lessons is Observe, Wait, Listen and find out what the student/client needs or seeks.  If my activities are not working for the student then I use the apps that build off of my activity, and they all involve listening - yea!!!  I just had to take the time to start anew and think about today's new life.  On top of that - sessions move smoothly and clients are interested.

Starting anew everyday for me is moving outside the box-that is for me- the dinosaur box, and begin using what is fresh and new for the times.  There are educational apps for speech, language and listening to develop the auditory means and language gains that go with auditory learning.  Some of those for children are free and easy to find - use your Internet and go surfing.  I love . . . 'Moo Box', 'Little Farm' and 'Where's Mommy?' for toddlers and Pre-k kiddos.  Parents can find the apps under the name; Approved4Kids for their elementary child and there are so many stories and language games for Kindle and/or The Nook.  Even adults can use audio books and music memory tunes to keep their auditory memory, discrimination, and perception keen and fresh.  

So. . . . 'why want the past over again, when you have the opportunity to begin new every morning'

No comments:

Post a Comment