Saturday, December 31, 2011

A New Year Cometh

Free your spirit and dance with life - from Finding Joy by Charlotte Kasl
My mom and my mother-in-law are great ladies!  They are the true meaning of moms with all the cliches - and I mean that in the most loving way!  Even for the holidays, they always, for as long as I can remember have gotten something for everyone on Christmas or for Chanukah; and. . . . if there is a last minute guest. . . . that is not a problem. . . they are included with a gift. . . my moms make, and still do. . . make everyone feel loved.

Which brings about my thoughts for a quick blog regarding the new year.  A couple of years ago, my mom-in-law presented all the ladies with a small, delicate sun catcher - each one with a quote.  I received the one which I quoted above, it's from the author Charlotte Kasl.  If you know this author, you know she writes in regards to having a balanced, richer life.

I loved the quote when I received it and after setting things back in place after the holidays (basic holiday cheer being put away) the sun catcher caught my eye and I fell in love with the quote once again.  For soon, it will be a new year and I sit back and think about the year that was, did I dance all through the year?  Probably not. . . some little bumps along the way.  Then I think about how much time and thought is spent on the things that made me stop dancing. . . seconds, minutes, hours, days. . . . . any time would probably be too much if it made me stop dancing. 
Children are quite different, they could dance late into the night if we let them, and that is why I love spending so much time teaching and talking to them.  They make me think about life and fun and freeing the spirit.  That is why I want to teach them to communicate those feelings and ideas and thoughts of wonder with the best words I can give them - or make them want to say.  That is why I love to share with families - there is so much dancing left to be done and so many free spirits wanting to be heard! 

Do parents spend time during the year not dancing?  Of course we do, we have so many other things to worry about and take care of - especially when it comes to our children.  Parents want the best for their children.  Parents want their children to have what they didn't - we all strive for that everyday.  We strive for what we didn't have, but along the way, we sometimes sell out and stop dancing.

We have to remember to relax with our children and have some fun.  I know how hectic the holidays and everyday can be. . . with all the rushing and so much fussing.  But we can open a book and take a look, or sit in a chair and share, or even . . . .
talk about dancing and give them the words to dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment